Well after the snow and howling winds of last weekend, it would appear that Spring has decided to stay this week. Temperatures have been up in double figures and the sunshine brought the Athenians flocking to Monastiraki and Psiri today.
I went to meet my tutor for coffee and had to stop to take a picture of the view at the end of my street. It's not a particularly striking neighbourhood and the crowded streets and cars and high apartment buildings are typical of many Athens neighbourhoods, BUT I have a view of the Akropolis. It looks so surreal, this 5th Century BC temple, glimpsed through the trappings of 21st Century life. It's visible from many parts of Athens and I can't help but wonder how ancient Athenians must have felt as they gazed daily at this magnificent structure. Were they awed, or was it so commonplace that they ignored it, just as the contemporary Athenians do?
We took a coffee in Psiri, sitting watching the world go by. I love to watch the rich rub shoulders with the not-so-rich and the downright poor. I have to admit that the constant stream of pedlars and beggars gets annoying but a quick "oxi" usually sends them on their way and it all adds to the tapestry of life here. A friend of my tutor has recently opened a potato-themed restaurant so we went to pay a quick visit, ostensibly to show support and say hello, but in reality, I suspect, to snoop and satisfy curiosity. I have to admit that I was dubious about the idea of a potato restaurant but it really is amazing. The building has been refurbished and decorated in a modern but cosy style and the menu is far more adventurous than I could imagine. We tried a couple of desserts which were fabulous but I feel that I consumed my dairy allowance for the week! Anyway, with luck, there should be a link to their website somewhere in this blog. I also included a couple of photos so you can compare last weekend to this weekend. Enjoy!
9 comments:
So, were the desserts Potato themed too? Sorry, it had to be asked...
Not so much!
We had little tiny pancakes, dusted with cinnamin, rolled and filled with rice pudding, served with vanilla ice-cream. was gorgeous, surprisingly. Then we had a dessert called "4 phases of yoghurt" and there was a small creme brulee, panacotta, mille-feuille and something else all creamy that I've forgotten. It was all beautifully presented and incredibly light and yummy.
bring some recipes home!! look forward to experimenting
Mousaka! it's so yummy! That's got to be a traditional meal. Love it. If you find a good recipe that uses potatoes, aubergines and zucchinis, would love to try it. I tasted that while in CrĂȘte. The one I make only has the aubergine.
Looking forward to read more on your experience.
looks like you've been having lazy sundays afternoons for the past month! What have you been up to?
You OK chuck?
hi, would love to hear more news of your adventure. Family in Canada and wanting to know too
mum xx
Hey, you're in demand, you know what you have to do! You owe it to us!
I read somewhere that the best way to teach is to show you have an interest in *them*. I guess it's also reinforcing good behaviours and being friendly whilst showing them where the 'lines' are that they can and can't cross. It's amazing what a change in your tone of voice or expression can do.
Post a Comment