Sunday, 17 February 2008

What a difference a week makes


So I've taught 3 times now and I'm really enjoying it. I'm finding preparation hideously difficult but that's mostly because I'm the Queen of Procrastination and would rather be doing anything else. The actual act of teaching though, is so much fun. I love being in front of the classroom and creating a rapport with the students. It's enormously satisfying when I can see their interest and understanding and I will them along to do well.


I had a panic in my last class because I thought I wouldn't have enough material but I presented the students with a questionnaire to complete and then to write their own question. It was amazing to see them arguing back and forth in English, giving their opinions and having so much fun talking in this new language. One young Iranian lad picked up on my use of "fabulous" as praise and requested the spelling. I was half tempted to teach him to say "fabulous dahling" but didn't think it would go down so well in his workplace.


It seems to be an unwritten law that the weather at the weekend will be horrendous and prevent me fulfilling my plans. The sun and clement temperatures of the week have given way to biting winds and snow. I'd heard snow was forecast but didn't believe it. I really thought it would be the typical exaggeration for sleet and was therefore slightly surprised to see actual snow on the ground this morning. It has now been snowing since midday and only the wind driving the flakes horizontally is preventing the snow from sticking at any depth. I was going to go to laundrette and supermarket but I shall recycle my jeans and I have wine and chocolate so I'll survive! I really don't fancy going outdoors.

No comments: